The Wahoo Fitness TICKR X tracks your heart rate, calorie burn, workout duration and other items, including cadence, with built-in memory – which means you don’t have to be connected to your phone during your workout – with the information viewable on an app paired to an iPhone, Android, or other supported device.
Wahoo Fitness TICKR X: What’s included
The TICKR X comes with the heart rate monitor, which already has a CR2032 battery installed, an adjustable strap, and a quick start guide.
Wahoo Fitness TICKR X: How it works
Like other Wahoo Fitness devices, the TICKR X works with the Wahoo Fitness App or numerous third-party apps such as Strava, LogYourRide, LogYourRun and MapMyFItness.
You’ll need to download & set up the app you plan to use before pairing the TICKR X. Just a reminder, if you don’t accurately complete the app information (height, weight, age, etc.), the calorie counts will not be accurate.
For this review, we used an iPhone 5S with the Wahoo Fitness app. TICKR X supported devices are listed below.
After removing the device & strap from the box, you simply snap the strap to the sensor on one side (it is marked L & R on the back), adjust the strap, lick the contact points (or as Wahoo states, “moisten the contact point on the strap with saliva or electrode gel”), wrap the strap around your chest and snap the other end of the strap to the other side of the sensor.
Next, pair the sensor to your app. Remember to have bluetooth turned on before attempting to pair the device.
In the example shown in the image with the Wahoo Fitness app, a previously paired sensor, the Wahoo RPM Cadence Sensor, is also listed on my app.
When the TICKR is paired, the blue LED light blinks 4 times. The red LED shows the heart beat has been detected.
Last, save the sensor to each workout profile type you’ll be using with the TICKR X (running, cycling, treadmill, indoor cycling). Hit done twice.
Click image to launch gallery
To record a workout, select Workout in the bottom right corner, choose the workout type, and press start.
I have a holder for my iPhone on my spin bike, so I could see the activity as I rode.
I also have another device on the bike to capture cadence, time, etc. and, comparing the two, the cadence data was very close, usually within a point or two.
Overall, the TICKR X was easy to set up, easy to use and performed as described.
The only downside experienced, which wasn’t a fault of the TICKR X – I also use Beats™ by Dr. Dre, which also uses the Bluetooth connection on my phone, so it poses a choice when working ou,t as only one Bluetooth device can be connected at one time with my iPhone.
Wahoo Fitness TICKR X: Features summary
- Dual band technology: The TICKR X’s ANT+ and Bluetooth capabilities allow for a wireless connection to both smartphones and GPS devices.
- Real-time tracking: Information is tracked in real-time and, if the connected device
- Burn & burst training program™: Wahoo FitnessEight week training program designed by Wahoo’s physiologist to burn fat or improve performance.
- Visible connection: When the TICKR is paired, the blue LED light blinks 4 times. The red LED shows the heart beat has been detected.
- Third party app compatibility: The TICKR X works with over 50 apps in addition to the Wahoo Fitness app.
- Running smoothness™: Measures running form across three dimensions.
- Treadmill mode: Special mode for tracking speed and distance data while on the treadmill.
- Cadence measurement: Provides stride rate data without a second device.
- Running analytics: Measures other running form indicators including vertical oscillation and ground contact time.
- Built-in memory: Holds up 16 hours of workout data without being connected to your phone and auto-syncs later.
- Vibration alerts: Indicates when you add a marker during a phone-free workout.
- Rapid double tap control: If not connected to a phone during the workout, double tap adds markers for specific points throughout your workout.
Wahoo Fitness TICKR X: Supported Devices
- iPhone 4S and newer
- Android – visit Wahoo website for compatible devices
- iPad (3rd gen and newer), iPad Mini, iPad Air
- iPod Touch (5th gen)
- Wahoo Tickr X: Specifications
Wahoo Fitness TICKR X: Specifications (via Wahoo)
- Physical Dimensions (LxWxH): 2.75″ x .5″ x 1.5″
Weight: 8.5 grams (without strap)
Battery Life: Up to 12 months
Sweatproof: Yes (hand washable strap)
Water Rating: IPX7 (waterproof up to 5 ft)
Strap Length: Adjustable from 24″ to 48″ (stretched)
Disclosure & disclaimer: We received product samples for evaluation for this review and were not otherwise financially compensated by the sponsor. Reviews are opinion only and Chasing Light Media accepts no responsibility for how the information is used. Some reviews link to products sold through Chasing Light Media’s Amazon.com affiliate account.