Louis Garneau Course Helmet
Photo: Greg K. Hull, Cool Adventures © Chasing Light Media
Article by Kim Hull
With over 150 victories during his 13-year racing career, Louis Garneau knows a few things about cycling.
25 years ago, Garneau decided to use those thousands of hours in the saddle to develop cycling gear. What started in his father’s garage has now emerged into a wide range of technologically advanced, comfortable cycling clothing and gear.
Louis Garneau Course Helmet
The Louis Garneau Course Helmet is marketed as “achieving the utmost in aerodynamics, ventilation, comfort, safety, and design,” so I thought I’d test it/provide feedback in each of these areas.
Louis Garneau Course Helmet: Aerodynamics
Louis Garneau has done significant research with regard to aerodynamics. According to Garneau:
“Computational Fluid Dynamics Software enabled us to simulate the aerodynamic performance of several helmets on the market. Our analysis determined that it was possible to optimize performance by maximizing the frontal surface of the helmet. In order to reduce this highest pressure zone on the helmet, the front, frontal openings were designed to optimize air follow and evacuate air internally to the back of the helmet. An aerodynamically designed inner-nerve system molded inside of the EPS liner to force air inside the helmet, circulate the rider’s head, and evacuate to through the back of the helmet.”
The graph below shows their test results comparing the Course Helmet with another aerodynamic helmet (blue line) and another non-aerodynamic helmet (grey line).
My results with regard to aerodynamics? Well, I’m not riding in any World Tour races, but I appreciate any bit of technology that can make my ride more enjoyable.
Louis Garneau Course Helmet: Ventilation & comfort
The fit of the Louis Garneau Course Helmet is one of its strongest features. It is well-padded, fairly lightweight, durable and very comfortable. Two sets of pads are included with the helmet. The size adjustment dial is easy to operate, even with gloved fingers.
Louis Garneau attributes the great fit of the Course Helmet to it having been “designed directly on the head of a rider in a cycling position, so it naturally adapts to the contour of the human head without excess material.”
As far as ventilation, the helmet was primarily tested in cooler temperatures, but the helmet does have good venting with 31 vents. According to Louis Garneau, the helmet has “an inner-nerve system molded inside of the EPS liner to force air inside the helmet, circulate the rider’s head, and evacuate to through the back of the helmet.”
Louis Garneau Course Helmet: Safety
The Louis Garneau Course Helmet comes with a rear safety light. The light attaches with Velcro (included) to a circle on the back of the helmet and can be set to one of two different blink modes or it can stay on continuously.
Louis Garneau Course Helmet: Design
In overall appearance, the Louis Garneau Course Helmet is stylish and well-designed.
If you are looking for a helmet that doesn’t look like every other helmet out there, is well-designed, and comfortable, the Louis Garneau Course Helmet may be the one for you.
Louis Garneau Course Helmet: Details
- Vents: 31
- Weight: 8.8 oz/250 g
- In-Mold Construction
- Super MSB technology: Ring-shaped plastic protection at the base of the helmet reinforces the perimeter for enhanced protection
- Integrated strap system with inner nerves: Inner frame which distributes the shock of impacts, thus providing support and protection while being lightweight
- Evacuation channels: Moisture channels provide better airflow and moisture wicking
- Spiderlock PRO II: Helmet stabilizing system featuring a polymer neck support. It can be easily tightened on the head using only one hand, thanks to its dented anti-slip wheel. Its inclination can be adjusted to several positions
- Pro-lock divider: Small and light cam-locking device to quickly adjust strap position
- Wind-tunnel tested: The result is a helmet which follows the shape of the head without excess of material at the back, allowing better air evacuation, from the front helmet to the cyclist’s back
- X-static XT2™ Padding: Quick-drying antimicrobial material that inhibits the growth of odor-causing bacteria. Its ergonomic design gives you optimum comfort
- Spiderlock Vision light included: Whether you ride to work early in the morning or late at night, the backlight will make sure you’ll be seen
S: 61/2 – 7, 201/2 – 22 in, 52-56 cm
M: 7 – 73/8, 22 – 231/4 in, 56-59 cm
L: 73/8 – 73/4, 231/4 – 241/2 in, 59-62 cm
Disclosure & disclaimer: We received product samples for evaluation for this review and were not otherwise financially compensated by the sponsor. Reviews are opinion only and Chasing Light Media accepts no responsibility for how the information is used.